A historic landmark since 1994 located on the Fullerton High School campus, Plummer Auditorium has been a staple of Fullerton and north Orange County since 1930. KNA was asked to provide structural engineering services for the seismic rehabilitation of the building.
Taking special care to not lose its historic features and feel, Little Diversified Architectural Consulting and KNA teamed up with AEGION to strengthen existing concrete columns and shear walls using composite fiber reinforced polymer (FRP).
The seismic rehabilitation project includes repairing areas of concrete deterioration, providing a new ticket booth at the auditorium’s entrance, and adding wheelchair accessible seating at the lower and upper levels. The wheelchair-access to the upper level will be made possible by a new lobby addition on the east side of the building, which also includes new restroom facilities.
About Plummer Auditorium
Designed by architect Carlton M. Winslow and constructed in 1930, the Plummer Auditorium is an outstanding combination of Spanish Colonial Revival architecture with Italian Renaissance design elements. It was named after Louis E. Plummer, superintendent of Fullerton High School and Fullerton Junior College from 1919 to 1941. Mr. Plummer was celebrated for his highly involved state and national public educational activities.
The structural system consists of poured-in-place reinforced concrete shear walls, columns, beams and floor and roof decks. Steel roof trusses encased in concrete with an artistic finish and red clay tiles compose the main roof framing.
The interior workmanship and detailing is just as wonderful as the exterior. The 1,300 seat auditorium features an intricate ceiling of painted wood beams, original wrought-iron chandeliers, arched side isles and other classical ornamentation.
When it was renovated in 1994, the auditorium was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Since its construction 70 years ago, the facility has been a center of entertainment for the community, particularly various social and civic groups. Students from local high schools and junior colleges have performed music, drama and dance in the auditorium, which has also been host to important theatrical productions and community cultural programs.
Throughout its decades of history, Plummer Auditorium has served Fullerton’s community, building a reputation as the cultural and educational center for north Orange County.
Plummer Auditorium is owned by the Fullerton Joint Union High School District.
Project: Plummer Auditorium Seismic Rehabilitation
Owner: Fullerton Joint Union High School District
Architect: Little Diversified Architectural Consulting
Project Manager: Rita Carter, Principal
KNA Project Manager: Kevin Westervelt
KNA Project Engineer: Emily Johansouz
We specialize in seismic rehabilitation and welcome the opportunity to talk with you. Call one of our structural experts at 949-462-3200.